Mesa Police Department
Business Objective: Police
We believe in partnering with our community to prevent and reduce crime and to ensure procedural justice by building trust, showing respect and preserving human rights.
- Comprehensive public safety plan
- Strong community partnerships
- Properly trained members
Top 5 Performance Measures
- Part 1 Crimes
- Response Times (shift of resources to meet continuity of service through pandemic)
- Community Engagement during the pandemic
- Clearance Rate Homicide
Part 1 Crimes
Part 1 Crimes per 1,000
- Blue = Total Crime
- Red = Violent
- Green = Property
Projected end of year Part 1 crime
21.6 crimes per 1,000
Actual Crime through August
Part 1 Violent Crime down 9%
Part 1 Property Crime down 4%
Overall Part 1 Crime down 5%
NIBRS vs UCR
Both UCR and NIBRS collect data on the categories “crimes against persons” and “crimes against property.”
Unlike UCR, NIBRS additionally documents animal cruelty, extortion, kidnapping, and identity theft offenses. NIBRS also documents the category “crimes against society,” including drugs, gambling, pornography, prostitution, and weapon law violations.
Elimination of the hierarchy rule
- UCR employs the hierarchy rule to recognize the most serious offense per incident.
- NIBRS requires agencies to submit information about all offenses committed in a single incident.
Example: When a thief breaks into a home, steals a TV, and then rides off in the homeowner’s mini-van, the difference is;
- UCR = 1 Burglary
- NIBR = 1 Burglary, 1 Theft and 1 Motor Vehicle Theft
Changes in classification
- Part I and Part II offenses are discarded in favor of Group A and Group B offenses.
- UCR focused on nine indexed offenses in the UCR. Group A alone represents 20-plus crime categories.
Continuous update of reported incidents, as new information becomes available
- When a victim in August of aggravated assault passes away the following month, the August incident is retro- updated to a homicide.
- When an investigation is completed in 2021 for a crime committed in 2019, the clearance is retro-credited in 2019.
- Change is due to the ability to submit data electronically vs manual input.